Rancho Cordova Wrongful Death Lawyer
Experiencing the loss of a loved one as a result of someone else's negligence is a deeply painful and distressing situation that no family should ever have to face. In these trying times, California law provides a means for representatives of the decedent's estate to seek financial compensation through a wrongful death claim. It's natural to feel hesitant about contacting a wrongful death attorney in Rancho Cordova, fearing potential judgment from others. However, it's important to remember that pursuing a wrongful death lawsuit is a valid exercise of your legal rights and a way to hold the responsible party accountable for their actions in civil court.
Having a compassionate attorney by your side can make all the difference during this challenging period, providing the support and guidance you need to navigate the legal process. By seeking justice for your loved one, you are honoring their memory and taking a step toward healing for your family. If you have lost a loved one in a tragic accident in Rancho Cordova cause by negligence, call our law firm at (916) 921-6400 for a free no-obligation consultation.How a Wrongful Death Claim Can Help
A wrongful death claim can provide a sense of closure and financial support for the surviving family members of a deceased individual whose death resulted from another party's negligence or wrongful actions. Although a wrongful death claim cannot bring back your loved one, it can offer several benefits to help your and your family cope with your loss:
- Compensation for financial losses: A wrongful death claim can offer compensation to cover the financial consequences of the loss, including funeral and burial costs, the deceased's lost income and benefits, and any medical expenses associated with their final care.
- Compensation for non-economic losses: A wrongful death claim can also help to compensate for non-economic damages, such as loss of companionship, love, guidance, support, and consortium. These damages can help acknowledge the emotional impact of the loss on the family members left behind.
- Holding the responsible party accountable: Pursuing a wrongful death claim can hold the negligent or wrongful party accountable for their actions, thereby providing a sense of justice for the surviving family members. This can contribute to your emotional healing and help prevent similar incidents from occurring in the future.
- Assistance with financial stability: Losing a loved one can create financial uncertainty, especially if the deceased was the primary breadwinner. A wrongful death claim can help provide the financial resources necessary to maintain your family's quality of life and ensure your future stability.
- Closure and emotional support: Navigating the legal process of a wrongful death claim can offer surviving family members a sense of closure as they strive to hold the accountable party responsible for their actions. Additionally, working with a compassionate attorney can offer emotional support and guidance during this difficult time.
A form of damages that may be pursuable, in addition to the damages described above, is punitive damages. These are damages designed to effectively reprimand a defendant who engaged in outrageous conduct and let others know that such behavior is completely unacceptable.
California Civil Code Section 3294 governs the pursuit of punitive damages. It is essential to understand that a plaintiff (i.e., the injured party) may only pursue punitive damages when it shows that the defendant’s actions were particularly egregious or committed maliciously. Not only must this behavior exist, but you must prove it with overwhelmingly convincing evidence (a.k.a. clear and convincing evidence). A way to think about this evidentiary standard is that you have to tip the proverbial scales of justice to your side by a wide margin (well over 50 percent). This is a much higher standard in the field of wrongful death law. The applicable evidentiary standard for most personal injury cases is just over 50 percent (a.k.a. a preponderance of the evidence).
However, there are instances where the egregious conduct is so shocking that punitive damages are recoverable. A fatal car accident caused by a drunk driver is an example of where a Rancho Cordova wrongful death lawyer may seek punitive damages.Benefits of Hiring a Rancho Cordova Wrongful Death Lawyer
A wrongful death lawyer plays a significant role in developing a persuasive case to convince a judge or jury to award you maximum compensation. They can help determine if you have a viable claim and ensure that no critical filing deadlines are missed. They deal with complex legal issues involving tort, probate, contract, and insurance. They ensure that the claim is moving forward so you can focus on helping yourself and your family work through the emotional loss and get through the grieving process.
Retaining the services of an attorney also makes sense because most wrongful death attorneys operate on a contingency fee basis. This means you do not have to pay some outrageous hourly rate or retainer fee to access an experienced attorney. Your Rancho Cordova wrongful death attorney will only get paid when they obtain a financial recovery for you and your family.Time is of the Essence to Take Legal Action
The sooner you take action and speak to an attorney to get the wrongful death claims process started, the better. The California legislature enacted a statute of limitations on wrongful death claims. In California, a family member has two years from the date of the death to file a wrongful death claim in court (or six months for a lawsuit against a government entity). If you fail to take action in that period, your case will likely be barred from going forward. Do not make this mistake.
Losing a loved one is gut-wrenching and creates tremendous stress and anxiety for you and your family. You need assistance while you focus on grieving and picking up the pieces. An experienced Rancho Cordova wrongful death attorney can help during this time.
Watch the following video to learn more about a wrongful death claim.Rancho Cordova Wrongful Death FAQ
Who can pursue a wrongful death claim?
Surviving family members may place a claim for wrongful death. They include the spouse, putative spouse, or domestic partner. Minors who received at least half their support from the victim may join in the claim. If the parents received at least half their support from the deceased, they might also file for wrongful death.
Can I afford to hire a lawyer for my wrongful death claim?
Our wrongful death law firm takes cases on a contingency fee basis. This means that there are no upfront fees for you, and our legal team will only get paid upon the successful conclusion of your wrongful death case.
Wrongful Death Lawyers in Rancho Cordova, CA
During such a difficult time, having a compassionate attorney in Rancho Cordova can help ease the burden of pursuing a wrongful death claim for you and your family. At AutoAccident.com, our caring lawyers are here to provide support and guidance. Please contact our law firm at (916) 921-6400 or (800) 404-5400 for free, friendly advice on how to initiate your case today.
Our empathetic Rancho Cordova wrongful death attorneys have decades of experience standing by families during their time of need, helping them secure the compensation they rightfully deserve for financial and intangible losses.
See our past cases on our Verdicts and Settlements page.