Sacramento Traumatic Brain Injury Lawyer
When you need help or answers from an experienced traumatic brain injury attorney in Sacramento, look no further. At our personal injury law firm, we wrote the book on TBIs.
Traumatic brain injuries can be one of the most devastating events that a family can face. The impact of a TBI on you or a family member is evident. The long-term effect on you and the injured relative can sometimes last a lifetime.
If you suffered a brain injury in an accident, you may benefit from the assistance of an experienced personal injury attorney. Our law firm has handled cases like yours since 1982. To receive free, friendly advice from one of our Sacramento TBI lawyers, call (916) 921-6400 or (800) 404-5400 today.
Read more below on traumatic brain injuries.
In this article:
- What is a Traumatic Brain Injury?
- Most Common Causes of Head Injury in Sacramento
- Can I Claim Compensation for a Traumatic Brain Injury?
- Symptoms of a Severe Head Injury
- How Long After a Brain Injury Do Symptoms Appear?
- Brain Injury Lawyers in Sacramento
- Family and Patient Resources for TBI
- Traumatic Brain Injury FAQs
A head injury or traumatic brain injury (TBI) is a common consequence of injury-related accidents. The significant forces involved in catastrophic crashes can produce the apparent results of major head trauma and the less obvious but more frequent results of concussions, minor TBIs, and long-term TBI symptoms.Common Causes of Brain Injuries
TBI occurs from head trauma resulting in skull and brain damage. Such trauma often results from a wide array of serious accidents, including:
- Bicycle Accidents
- Car Accidents
- Construction Site Accidents
- Motorcycle Crashes
- Pedestrian Accidents
- Slip and Falls
- Truck Collisions
Every case of mild, moderate, or severe TBI is different. As such, there are many damages a Sacramento TBI attorney can recover on behalf of their client. These include:
- Past and future medical bills for ambulance services, emergency room visits, doctor appointments, medical imaging, transcranial electrical stimulation, therapy, and prescription medications.
- Lost wages for time missed at work to recover from a traumatic brain injury or attend a medical appointment.
- Loss of consortium for damage to a marital relationship as a result of a brain injury.
- Loss of earning potential for a severe TBI resulting in permanent disability.
- Pain and suffering due to the emotional and psychological harms caused by a severe head trauma.
Closed head injuries may not produce visible traumas. Closed head injuries may not produce visible traumas. However, they still cause long-term effects and even permanent symptoms. These include headaches, short and long-term memory loss, mood swings, and loss of cognitive functions.
The injured person often may be unaware of these changes or may only be vaguely aware that "something" is wrong. In most cases, the injured party's family and friends are the first to realize something significant has occurred.How Long After a Brain Injury Do Symptoms Appear?
In an accident involving a blow to the head, awareness is key. The injured party and their family and friends should be alert for any changes in mental or emotional status. An injured party should report significant or lasting changes immediately to a physician.
Even in those instances where a direct blow to the head has not occurred, it is wise to be careful. It has been shown, for example, that acceleration/deceleration injuries can be caused to the brain in cases where rapid speed changes occurred, even if there was no apparent striking of the head on other objects -- the medical evidence is that the brain can be "bruised" in these instances merely by impacting the inside of the skull when a sudden speed change happens.
Experienced medical personnel can evaluate a mild, moderate, or severe traumatic brain injury and provide input on prognosis. This includes neuropsychologists, neurologists, and neuroradiologists.
In this video, doctors from Shirley Ryan Ability Lab discuss TBI treatment with new technology and therapies.Family and Patient Resources for TBI
For more information about traumatic brain injuries, you may wish to visit these websites:
- American Academy of Clinical Neuropsychology
- American Board of Professional Neuropsychology
- Coping with Mild Traumatic Brain Injury
- National Library of Medicine Traumatic Brain Injury Bibliography
- Neuropsychology Central
- Traumatic Brain Injury Perspectives Network
How long does it take to recover from a TBI?
What are the long-term effects of a traumatic brain injury?
Temporary impairment of brain function may occur after a minor head injury, such as a concussion. This type of injury may lead to complications, including headaches, fatigue, dizziness, depression, and memory problems. Such symptoms may last months or years. TBI patients are likely to face challenging and uncertain futures, even with family support and medical care.
What is the most common type of brain injury?
The most common type of traumatic brain injury is a concussion. A concussion occurs when there is trauma to the brain from a sudden movement change or impact. The cranial nerves in the brain may sustain damage causing stretching of the blood vessels. Not all concussion cases involve loss of consciousness, but some individuals may experience it.Work With a TBI Attorney Serving Sacramento, California
At our law office, our injury lawyers have handled many accident cases involving TBIs. We are well-versed in the legal steps of handling traumatic brain injury cases in California.
If you or a loved one sustained a TBI in an accident, seek immediate medical attention. From there, contact an experienced traumatic brain injury lawyer from Sacramento for assistance. The right lawyer will have experience dealing with difficult insurance companies.
Call us at (916) 921-6400 or (800) 404-5400 for a free consultation. Our compassionate team of brain injury attorneys will provide free, friendly advice and discuss your options for financial recovery.
We are members of the Brain Injury Association of America.
Editor’s Note: updated 12.7.23
- Brain Injury Symptoms After a Car Accident
- Changes in Personality Following a Traumatic Brain Injury
- Head Injury Lawyer
- How Do Brain Injuries Impact Driving Skills?
- Medical Treatment and the Traumatic Brain Injury
- Possible Effects of a Traumatic Brain Injury
- Post-Concussion Syndrome
- Signs and Symptoms of a Traumatic Brain Injury or Concussion
- The Treatment of a Traumatic Brain Injury: Alternative Medicine
- TBI and Post-Traumatic Seizures After an Accident
- Treatment for a Traumatic Brain Injury
- Trigeminal Neuralgia After an Accident
- What is a Traumatic Brain Injury?