Facebook Pixel


Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Arbitration | AutoAccident.com

start your free consultation
Home Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Arbitration | AutoAccident.com

Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Arbitration

car insurance

When a car accident in California is caused by another driver, the injured person can file a personal injury claim against the insurance company representing the at-fault party. In situations where the other driver has no bodily injury liability coverage or exhaustion of policy limits for injuries and damages incurred, the injured party can bring a claim with their insurer. This is possible as long as they have uninsured (UM) and underinsured motorist coverage (UIM).

While insurance companies owe a duty of good faith to their insured for uninsured and underinsured motorist claims, that is not always the case. When the insurer and the insured cannot agree on a settlement amount, the claim is taken to arbitration, where an arbitrator decides an appropriate award.

Why is Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Coverage Important?

Uninsured and underinsured motorist benefits cover you and all occupants in your car. They also cover damages incurred due to an at-fault driver with no liability insurance, a driver who doesn’t carry enough insurance, or a hit-and-run driver.

The two types of UM and UIM coverage are:

  • Uninsured Motorist Coverage. This coverage is optional. If you are involved in an accident with an uninsured driver or in a hit-and-run accident, this policy will come in handy.
  • Underinsured Motorist Coverage. This coverage complements your uninsured motorist coverage. If the at-fault party does not have enough insurance coverage to compensate you for your injuries, you may be entitled to additional coverage on your own policy. Contact an experienced injury lawyer for a free case evaluation if you are in that situation.

If the at-fault party has a liability limit of only $25,000, you can only claim $25,000 a person from their insurance. If your injuries and medical expenses are high, the value of your case could be more than $25,000.00. 

The video below by our personal injury law firm discusses the legal action against uninsured motorists in California and why it is important to have uninsured motorist coverage.

UM/UIM Frequently Asked QuestionsHow much uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage do you need?

You determine the amount of uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage you want. If you buy uninsured benefits of $15,000 and suffer injuries caused by an uninsured driver, you can only get up to $15,000 from your own insurance to pay for damages. That is, whether your medical bills are $15,000 or $1,000,000, you will only be entitled to collect $15,000 from your insurance company under your uninsured policy.

How long can I get uninsured benefits?

There isn’t a limit as to how extended your coverage is available, but you must make a claim with your own carrier no later than two years after the date of the accident, or you can and likely will be forever barred from pursuing the claim. However, you will be covered only up to the amount of uninsured policy benefits. If you’ve suffered a life-threatening injury that requires surgery or emergency care, and you have a full uninsured policy of $100,000, you could exhaust your uninsured benefits within a short time.

How do I file my claims for uninsured/underinsured benefits?

In California, you can submit the uninsured and underinsured motorist claim to your insurance company within two years of the date of the motor vehicle accident.

I was riding on a bicycle and was hit by an uninsured motorist. I have severe injuries. Can I collect under uninsured motorist insurance?

If you, a member of your family, or even a roommate has a car with uninsured motorist insurance, you can likely tap that insurance to recover. If you have been in a car accident with an uninsured or underinsured driver in California, contact our law office for free, friendly legal advice now.

I was walking across a street, and a hit-and-run driver struck and injured me. Can I recover?

If you had a vehicle with auto insurance and uninsured motorist coverage, you have a right to recover against your own uninsured motorist coverage. Don’t worry, your rates won’t go up!

If you didn’t have a car, but someone else in your household did, and they had uninsured motorist coverage, then, in most cases, you can recover against their policy. Again don’t worry. Their rates won’t go up either. In California, your rates only go up if you were at fault in the accident.

I was in a car wreck, the other party was at fault but had only minimal coverage, and I had severe injuries. Do I have any other options to recover?

You may. If you had uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage over the minimum limits after you recover from the at-fault party, you have an option to recover additional damages from your own uninsured/underinsured motorist insurance.

Additionally, if the other driver was driving a company vehicle or a car owned by someone other than the driver, you may have a right of recovery against that person as well as the driver.

If another car forces me off the road and I crash into a median barrier, can I make a claim under my uninsured motorist insurance?

It depends. California law requires contact between the uninsured car and your vehicle. So if the vehicle that forced you off the road made contact with yours, even if ever so slightly, you will have an uninsured motorist case.

Contact a Sacramento Auto Accident Attorney Today

If you have been involved in a motor vehicle accident with an uninsured or underinsured driver, our experienced Sacramento personal injury lawyers at AutoAccident.com will do everything they can to ensure you receive fair compensation for your losses. For more details, reach out to our injury lawyers today to schedule a free consultation with one of our lawyers at (916) 921-6400 or (800) 404-5400. We are available anytime to review your case and provide free, friendly advice.

We are proud members of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum and the National Association of Distinguished Counsel.

See our verdicts and settlements and client reviews on GoogleYelp, and Avvo.

Editor’s Note: This page has been updated for accuracy and relevancy [cha 1.24.22]

Image by Tumisu from Pixabay

[cs 1048]

Additional Resources: